Mark & Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund
The Passport Foundation created in 2018, that later transferred to Nspire – A Park Community Initiative, The Mark and Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund was developed to inspire people who are the first in their family to obtain post-secondary education and training. The fund was created with generous donations from Passport Heatlh Plan employees, along with former Passport Health Plan CEO Mark Carter and his wife Kellie, and trusted to Nspire – a Park Community Credit Union Initiative for award management. This initiative is aimed at breaking the cycle of poverty for students seeking vocational training, technical certification, or non-traditional pathways. For an FAQ and more information about this scholarship, please view this document: Additional Information
Park Community Credit Union and Passport Health Plan employees and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship.
This is a one-year scholarship program, renewable for a second year through a second application round.
The program will provide tuition assistance, books, school related supplies and, based upon need, assistance with food and transportation access and child care for individuals pursuing training in a certified technical trade or two-year degree.
Also included in the scholarship package:
1. Access to an educational and professional mentor (if needed by your program)
2. Laptop computer (if needed by your program)
3. Stipend to cover textbook and supply expenses
4. Additional support to cover gaps such as childcare to allow the scholarship awardee to attend classes, a healthy food delivery to ensure nutritious meals during milestone academic periods (semi-finals, finals, for example) and transportation assistance in the form of Tarc passes or other transportation support if not located in Jefferson County.
The goal of this program is to help aspiring Kentuckians avoid unemployment or underemployment, escape the poverty cycle and positively influence their families and local communities.
Students graduating from High School in Spring 2020 and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
Non-traditional students must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Be over the age of 25
• Have delayed their enrollment in post-secondary education for more than one year and for reasons other than a planned gap year
• Have dependents other than a spouse
• Be financially independent from their parents
• Completed a GED at the College Ready level or high school equivalent
2020-2021 Academic Year
Deadline – June 15, 2020
Scholarship Application Instructions:
To complete your first-time online scholarship application for The Mark and Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund, please read the instructions carefully.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, also known as FAFSA, prior to submitting this application and send your Student Air Report, or SAR, to us as soon as you receive it.
• Official high school transcript or grade report, which must include your name, school, grades through December 2019, attendance record and cumulative GPA. Note: Cumulative GPA must be 2.5 or greater on a 4-point scale.
• GED test scores if applicable, at College Ready level
• College transcripts, if applicable
• One letter of recommendation from an individual not related to you. If you are currently enrolled in high school, one must be from a faculty advisor. Note: These may be uploaded to your application.
• Student Aid Report, or SAR.
Note: Each applicant will be required to sign up, confirm their account, and complete the general application. The confirmation email will come from Park Community Credit Union firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to check spam and junk mail filters for the confirmation email.
To ensure the best experience while using the online application system, students/applicants are encouraged to use a supported internet browser.
For optimal compatibility, we recommend using any newer browser such as:
- Google Chrome,
- Mozilla Firefox,
- Apple Safari, or
- Microsoft Edge.
- Not Fully Compatible: Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11)
If you have any questions, please e-mail: email@example.com.